This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure here.
Are you up to the challenge? Try one or two of these fantastic wooden puzzles for kids and see how you do!
Puzzles have a way of keeping us focused and attentive. The young babies concentrate so hard to get that wooden puzzle piece to fit into the grooves where it matches up.
Our grandparents focus on putting together a beautiful picture, piece by piece. All the age groups in between use puzzles to learn or practice a particular concept, pass the time, or to show their great puzzle skills.
What’s so great about wooden puzzles? The wooden pieces make it easier to pick up and hold onto. They are more durable and will be around for more time for you and your family to enjoy them!
For those who are really curious, read more about the amazing benefits from doing puzzles!
Hearthsong Fairy Puzzle and Fairy Nesting Set
A wooden fairy puzzle with 24 pieces that have fun illustrations. Your kiddo can easily put this together with the larger puzzle pieces.
There are 5 bonus nesting eggs that can be stacked and unstacked to add to the fun! It’s recommended for kids 3+.
- Puzzle pieces are easy for kids to work with
- It creates a fun, colorful picture
- The matching nesting eggs are a great addition
- Contains small pieces, not recommended for kids under 3
- It may not hold every child’s attention
Wooden Arc Balancing Toy and Puzzle
This is a fun combination between a balancing toy and a puzzle.
Your toddler may enjoy stacking the colored pieces, balancing them together, then rocking the arc. It is recommended for kids 3+.
- Made of Sustainable rubberwood
- Stained with nontoxic, water-based dyes
- A great hands-on toy and puzzle
- Smaller pieces can be easier to lose
- It could cause some frustration if your child rocks it too hard and the pieces fall off
African Plains Wooden Jigsaw
This jigsaw puzzle has 24 colorful pieces and helps bring a piece of the African Savannah to life.
It could also be a fun way to learn about each of the different animals and to dive a little more into the part they play in the African life.
- Sturdy puzzle board
- Helps develop fine motor skills
- Encourages hand-eye coordination
- No picture to follow
- Pieces are sturdy and can be difficult to move around at first
Deluxe Jumbo Knob Wooden Puzzle
Eight basic shapes are represented on this fun puzzle for little ones. Each piece is clearly outlined and has a matching colorful picture underneath it on the board.
It can also be used to practice the colors and count the sides of the shapes.
- Jumbo knobs that are easy to grasp
- Matching pictures to help your child place each piece
- Multiple ways to use it
- Color sticker has come off for some customers
- It may not be as challenging for some children
USA Map Wooden Puzzle
This is a great way to practice identifying and piecing together all fifty states. The state capitol is written under each piece.
The back of the puzzle has additional information like the state flag and population.
- A unique way to practice the states
- A great mix of learning and fun
- Made from sturdy material
- Lots of little pieces
- There is not a puzzle piece for every state
This puzzle is well-made with small wooden pieces that you fit together within the wooden box to create a square.
Don’t be tricked into thinking it’ll be a quick thing to solve! It may be more challenging than it looks.
- The pieces are well-made
- Can be put together as many times as you’d like
- Provides a challenge
- Smaller parts can be hard to keep track of
- You may need to find a more durable package to store it in
Galaxy Wood Puzzle
This puzzle breaks from tradition a bit and shares a puzzle with pieces that are cylinder-shaped.
This puzzle could keep you and your kids busy for a while trying to figure out how to fit the pieces together so it creates the fun picture shown above. Once you’ve done it, try putting it together again while timing yourself!
I’m going to guess that you will be a tad bit faster the second and third go around.
- Breaks from traditional puzzles
- Can be assembled and reassembled
- Pieces may fit loosely, so if you bump them they may fall over
- Could be frustrating
6 Packs of Wooden Puzzles for Toddlers
Are you looking for a gift that keeps on giving? Try this subscription box for toddlers!
It comes with 6, 12, or 18 puzzles a month. You’ll get a whole variety of puzzles that will help your kiddo develop skills and practice grip strength.
Each month, your box will arrive with ready-to-go puzzles. This could be a fun gift from a parent to a child (it’s kind of like getting a gift for yourself- your little one will be excited every time the box arrives and each month brings new fun!) It could also be a unique gift to give as a grandparent to your grand kids that may live far away.
- Large pieces that are easy for little hands to hold
- Helps develop problem solving skills
- You can cancel anytime
- You may end up with a lot of puzzle pieces
- Subscriptions automatically renew, just be aware if you want to continue or not
Choosing The Right Puzzle
There are so many great ways to learn and play at the same time! You have just seen a number of examples of wooden puzzles that are durable, educational, and cover a variety of subjects.
Some important things to keep in mind while you choose the right puzzle(s) for your kiddos:
- abilities IE. can they easily maneuver puzzle pieces around?
- interests- do your kids love learning about animals or enjoy a challenge?
- educational focus- are you currently helping your kiddo learn about the colors, states, or animals?
Now for the tricky part, which one caught your eye?